The downside about being a bit food crazy is that my Facebook feed is filled with enticing photos all day, every day. I’ve gotten pretty good at scanning over them but every once in awhile there’s something that brings my scrolling finger to a quick stop.
Case in point – blogger buddy Lisa Lin of Healthy Nibbles & Bits reposted this Roasted Stawberry Smoothie Bowl from Floating Kitchen. It was the gastronomical trifecta – it sounded delicious, it looked healthy and the photography was drool worthy.
It also piqued my interest. First the roasted strawberry part. Sure… I’ve grilled fruit and it was delicious but I hadn’t ever considered roasting it. And I roast practically everything. I know how it can bring out a deep caramelized flavor and yes indeed, that does sound pretty good when it comes to strawberries… or other fruit that I’m already contemplating the roastability of.
The second attention grabber was the smoothie bowl. Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know that they are everywhere but like Liz from the Floating Kitchen, I didn’t really get it. It’s like putting a milkshake in a bowl and eating it with a spoon and at that point then isn’t it really much more like melted ice cream than a milkshake?
But as posed by the Floating Kitchen, a smoothie bowl gives you a canvas that you don’t have with the skinny little top of a drinking glass. A bowl gives you room to really deck this baby out with all kinds of goodies including nuts, hemp hearts, chia seeds… heck, go crazy and toss some cocoa nibs on there! It’s your delicious masterpiece after all.
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 ounces yogurt (your choice – non-dairy or dairy yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Spread the coated strawberries out onto a parchment-paper lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer to your pre-heated oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add the milk, banana, yogurt, chia seeds, hemps seeds and roasted strawberries (plus any juices) to your blender.
- Blend on high until smooth. Pour into a bowl(s).
- Top with a sprinkling of chia seeds, hemp seeds, cocoa nibs, almonds, blueberries or any of your favorite toppings.
- Enjoy immediately.