Linen spray has always seemed like an indulgence. It seemed expensive for what it was and I didn’t get the appeal.
Then a couple summers ago the Hubs got a bottle at the farmer’s market for me. From that first night I sprayed my pillow with that fine mist of lavender, I was hooked. It’s been sweet dreams ever since.
Essential oils and I are getting reacquainted after a bit of a hiatus. I drank the doTerra kool-aid a couple months ago and am slowly building my collection. I made sure a few basics were in the first shipmen – lemon, peppermint and, of course, lavender. There’s a lot you can do with these three amigos, including making a great linen spray. The directions below are for lavender but this is definitely an opportunity to mix and blend to find your perfect scent.
When using essential oils it’s a good idea to use glass. It’s impervious to the oils and the oils won’t be damaged by the glass. Essential oils can penetrate plastic making it hard to clean the bottle to use for something else, or change the scent. Aroma Tools has a crazy selection of everything you could ever need or want, including the brown spray bottle in these pictures. I have to admit, I went a little overboard on my first order, enthralled with the vision of all the cool things I might make.
I’ve also included the template for my labels here. I printed them on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of solid label stock, trimmed them out and then stuck them directly on the bottles. You could also print it on regular paper and then with a very carefully use packing tape to seal it on. There’s two lavender and two generic labels on this template incase you get all excited like I did and want to share.
- 4 oz cheap vodka (yeah, yeah... I show Effen here because it's what I had – you could totally go for the cheap stuff) or rubbing alcohol
- 1½ cups distilled water
- 10-15 drops lavender essential oils
- Pour 2 oz of vodka alcohol into each bottle.
- Add 30 drops of lavender essential oil divided between the two bottles. Shake to mix thoroughly. This is an important step as the oil won't mix if you just use water. The alcohol helps distribute it in the mixture.
- Top off with the distilled water.
- Give a quick shake before each use.
Since I’m amped up on essential oils currently – plus getting great nights of sleep thanks to my linen spray – watch for more DIY projects to come!